Saturday, August 11, 2012

good luck setting things on fire

 the quiet brighton path, the dark trees, the bright mountain
 i remember when i was little, i talked my mom and dad into teaching my how to use matches, so i could make the camp fire in the morning, which i was extremely good at.  This became an obsessive interest in fire, i wandered off to deserted areas of the neighborhood and burned little fires...someone gave me some fireworks, since i was talking about Cai Go Qiang.  I needed to set them off, so that i could use them for a painting, and i wanted to used to make a  painting.  But it is not easy to set off fireworks, after the legal firework season is past, to discretely have roman candles and firecrackers and sparklers going off.  I opted for the inside of a garage, using an old drawing as the basis for a fire drawing.





“The more I practice, the luckier I get.”
(Twyla Tharp)

I cannot overstate how much a generous spirit contributes to good luck.  Look at the luckiest people around you…they’re prepared, they’re always working at their craft, they’re alert, they involve their friends in their work, and they tend to make others feel lucky to be around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment