Friday, April 25, 2014

Annapurna Range


 
Annapurna Range



 
April 22 It is a snowing blizzard at Brighton.  A few weeks ago, well, 10 days ago I was sleeping on  a rock in a snowfield after hiking, getting lost, snowshoeing, up to the 2nd scout lake in the Eastern Sierra Mountains, below Mt. Whitney, cooking snow to make water, I had been hiking for 12 hours, thinking about sitting by myself in Ama Dablam base camp for how many days would I have to be there? Two weeks?  I was thinking that soloing that mountain was a pretty dangerous thing to do, soloing up to camp 3, until a Himalayan snow and lightning storm chased me down the mountain in an interminable series of rappels.  I tried to find someone to climb with this year, but, although many were interested, no one could make that leap of faith to head to the Himalaya.  And the long walk to Namche, to Tengbouche, to base camp, without Tom or Meryl or Cam or Chris to talk to, it seemed like a little much.  

The next day, after summiting Whitney, and reaching the trailhead at 9:30 PM, with 3 miles left to walk to the car, it was going to be 18 hours of hiking, I thought, I want to see Annapurna and scout out some other Himalayan mountains. 

Then there was the huge avalanche in the Khumbu, on Everest killing 16 Sherpa guides, which just made me feel bad.  I will return to Ama Dablam with a few climbers next year.  So Nima and decided to go exploring into  Annapurna Sanctuary, scout out some high altitude rock climbs, go up a mountain or two. Maybe climb Singu Chuli and Tharpu Chuli. 





No comments:

Post a Comment