Sunday, May 11, 2014

Down down down


It is, however a long way down. After breaking down high camp we descended, I chose to use a ice axe across the steep snow fields until we reached the death couloir, where Dawa nimbly descended like a mountain goat. I became soaked again in the waterfall and finally we had to kick and ice axe out of the moraine. I was greatly tired, since we had started at 3 am, but some garlic soup and fried potatoes revived me for the rapid descent to a village 4 hours down the trail. 

This time we were able to see much more since the fog and rain had temporarily lifted. It is a long descent, about 30 miles from ABC to the jeep road. We took two days and 3 hours of a third day to reach the jeeps,







At one point Nima and Dawa decided it was time for prayer flags in the forest next to a small shrine reliquary. 


On both sides of the steep canyon, beyond the prayer flags were continuous waterfalls.

As we descended the climate became humid and warm. I suggested when we stopped for lunch that some of the fresh garlic could go into my omelette.

Omelette and rice pudding.

This crazy guy was at Annapurna base camp, sitting at the edge of the conversation inside the dinning room. I found him again much further down.  


the humid Nepal jungle

No comments:

Post a Comment