Monday, August 5, 2013

Carrel Hut



 
I made it down to the hut, doing some simu-down climbing with a group of nice Germans, and watched the beautiful sunset over the Alps.  I had already reserved a bunk next to the wall, prime space, bedding down next to a stranger. The bathroom was outside, around the corner.  They provided nice wool blankets, but unfortunately no food.  I had underestimated how much food to bring.  The hut provided gas to cook, but no food.  I was soaking wet, from the rappels through the snowy traverse that I was able to avoid on my way up.   My rope was also wet.  So I went to bed, cold, wet, and hungry, with only half a granola bar left.  I listened to the symphony of snorers through the night, and people getting up at 3:30 or 4:00 to start the ascent.  Even the guide who was stocking the hut said, wait until it is light before you climb.  But everyone was setting off before dawn.  And it was cold and very windy, the verglass had returned.  I could not see how I could climb the mountain again with no food, and I was not that keen on climbing in boots and crampons by myself, in the cold wind. So I made my way down to the Abruzzi.  I could tell I was tired from the day before, and from the long night with little sleep.  It was a good choice.  I had enjoyed a beautiful 14 hour day of climbing the Matterhorn. And I had really climbed it.



 Sunset from the Carrel Hut


No comments:

Post a Comment